Recipe PSA: Eggs Baked in Cream
June 8, 2010 § Leave a comment
Do you know about eggs baked in cream? I didn’t until a couple of days ago, and well, if you knew about them and didn’t say anything… Well, I may not be capable of forgiving you. Ok, just kidding, I’m almost incapable of holding a grudge long-term.
I discovered Sassy Radish’s blog this week (via Smitten Kitchen‘s blogroll) while researching ice cream recipes and was completely sidetracked by her recent post on Eggs Baked in Cream. If you like poached eggs and are lactose tolerant, try this, you won’t regret it. Since since leeks are a hard sell in my house and harissa is new to me, I tweaked Olga’s recipe to work with what I had in my kitchen:
Eggs Baked in Cream
Revised based on Sassy Radish’s recipe
1-2 tablespoons caramelized onions
1-2 tablepoons tomato sauce
A few finely chopped rosemary leaves
1 large egg
2 tbsp or so half-and-half
coarsely ground black pepper
Toasted bread slice or roll (I used a par-baked roll from Trader Joe’s)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Put the a layer of caramelized onions on the bottom of a ramekin. Then, add a layer of tomato sauce and top with chopped rosemary.
4. Crack and place the raw egg on top of the lovely bed of onions and tomatoes that you already created.
5. Measure out the half-and-half and add to the ramekin.
6. Season with salt and pepper before baking for 10-12 minutes. The goal is to get an egg with a soft, cooked white and a hot, runny yolk, just like a poached egg. If you’ve got one of those T.J. par-baked rolls pop it in the oven too, it will get nice and crusty.
7. Remove from oven. Eat!!
I’m afraid that I was much too focused on trying this new dish to take photos. Besides you can see the most beautiful shots by clicking on above link to Olga’s recipe. You’ll love this amazing and simple dish, so please take a chance and try it.